IT professionals have the world at their fingertips with apps that can be downloaded to smartphones as well as Web apps that can be used through any computer and through an Internet-connected mobile device. If the app is free or open source, that price just makes the pot all that much sweeter. We hope you enjoy the following 50 free software applications, which provide means to gain remote access, to develop apps, to monitor servers and networks and to get a leg up on productivity.
- Android-vnc-viewer: See and control your computer’s desktop from your phone, from anywhere.
- LogMeIn: Users worldwide rely on LogMeIn solutions for remote control, file sharing, systems management, data backup, business collaboration and on-demand customer support.
- Mikogo: Mikogo is an easy-to-use cross-platform desktop sharing tool, ideal for web conferencing, online meetings or remote support.
- rdesktop: This is an open source client for Windows Remote Desktop Services, capable of natively-speaking Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) in order to present the user’s Windows desktop.
- RDP Lite: RDP Lite allows remote access of workstations, solving all sorts of logistics issues, and works with networks containing Windows XP Pro, Vista, or Windows 7 computers.
- ShowMyPC: ShowMyPC provides Remote Support and Meeting services to all users. Services include free and premium Remote PC access, Desktop Sharing, Screen Sharing, and others.
- TeamViewer: TeamViewer is a software and both PCs need to install applications. You can control remote PCs (unlimited) with the free version.
- TightVNC: With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
- YuuGuu: Besides controlling remote computers, Yuuguu enables a team of up to 30 people to share their desktops and chat.
Development Apps (IDEs)
- Code::Blocks: This is a free C++ IDE built to meet the most demanding needs of its users.
- Eclipse: Eclipse is an open source community, whose projects are focused on building an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the lifecycle.
- Geany: Geany is a text editor using the GTK2 toolkit with basic features of an integrated development environment.
- gdata-objectivec-client: Google provides a large set of their APIs in Objective-C for both Mac and iPhone development.
- NetBeans IDE: Develop desktop, mobile and web applications with Java, PHP, C/C++ and more. Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris. NetBeans IDE is open-source and free.
- SharpDevelop: This is a free IDE for C#, VB.NET and Boo projects on Microsoft’s .NET platform. It is open-source, and you can download both sourcecode and executables.
- The Three20 Project: Joe Hewitt created this project, which is a collection of iPhone UI classes, including a photo viewer and general utilities such as an HTTP disk cache.
Wireframes and Mindmapping
- Cacoo: Create a variety of diagrams such as site maps, wire frames, UML and network charts, and collaborate with multiple users.
- HotGloo: HotGloo is a rich internet application designed to build functional online wireframes for a Web site or for Web projects.
- Mobile — iPhone: iPhone stencil from the Design Stencil kit in the Yahoo! Design Pattern Library.
- iPhone Wire Frames: This is a basic stencil for creating wire frames for iPhone optimized web sites.
- Mockingbird: Mockingbird is an online tool that makes it very easy for you to create, link together, preview, and share mockups of your website or application.
- Pencil 1.2: This is an open source GUJI prototyping tool for Firefox.
- Ultimate iPhone Stencil: This is the ultimate stencil for folks designing iPhone apps, created by Patrick Crowley.
- Web Site Wireframe Tool: This is a Web-based tool for building web site wireframes.
Server and Network Monitoring
- bMonitor Server Monitor: This Android app works by testing servers remotely via ping, port or Web page monitoring.
- Cacti: Cacti is a complete network graphing solution designed to harness the power of RRDTool’s data storage and graphing functionality.
- Fing: Fing is the ultimate Android tool for network discovery, service scan (TCP port scan), ping, traceroute, DNS lookup.
- Ganglia Monitoring System: Ganglia is a scalable distributed monitoring system for high-performance computing systems such as clusters and grids.
- M/Monit: Use M/Monit to monitor and manage your hosts and services, conduct automatic maintenance and repair and execute meaningful causal actions in error situations.
- Munin: Munin is a networked resource monitoring tool that can help analyze resource trends and “what just happened to kill our performance?” problems.
- Nagios: Nagios is a powerful monitoring system that enables organizations to identify and resolve IT infrastructure problems before they affect critical business processes.
- WMI Monitor: SolarWinds’ WMI Monitor helps IT managers track relevant Windows Management Instrumentation, or WMI, counters and employ pre-built application templates to better understand application performance.
- Zabbix: This is one of the most popular open source monitoring software in the world.
- Connectbot: The ultimate goal for this Android app is to create a secure connection through which you can use a shell on a remote machine and transfer files back and forth to your phone.
- Flow: flow is a lean project management application based on kanban.
- Glasscubes: Collaborate and organize your day-to-day work, information, people and files. The basic version is free.
- HiTask: HiTask was conceived as a friendly and easy-to-use task management system that anyone can start using right away. Free trial period.
- Pivotal Tracker: Bring everyone, even distributed teams, into the same virtual room with this lightweight project management tool.
- Teamwork PM: Teamwork Project Manager is an easy-to-use online teamwork and project management software application.
- Advanced Task Killer: If your Android starts to feel sluggish, or the battery life is dropping, open up ATK and it will stop any apps you aren’t using.
- AndFTP: This is an FTP, SFTP, SCP, FTPS client for Android devices.
- ASTRO File Manager: Android users can copy, move, delete and rename single or mutliple files with this app.
- FTP on the Go: This iPhone app offers all the features of a desktop FTP client and more.
- Skype for Android: Make free Skype-to-Skype calls, and call phones at Skype rates on the move.
- Auto Password Reset: Allow your users to reset their own passwords with unlimited use for two months.
- Insightly: Free simple CRM and Project Management: Insightly is the most popular Google Apps CRM and project management package. Track leads, proposals, opportunities, projects and manage files, all through an easy to use interface.
- Manymoon: Free Collaborative Project & Task Management: Get work done securely with co-workers, partners, and customers and with Google universal navigation.
- SherpaTools for Google Apps: SherpaTools for Google Apps accelerates adoption of Google Apps and maximizes employee productivity by delivering a powerful corporate contacts management suite and unmatched administrative controls.
- Smart Contacts Manager: Google offers this clean and simple UI to manage private and shared contacts. As it is a beta version, you will see some technical limitations.
- TheDeadline: This is an intelligent Todo-Manager that makes collaboration very easy and that helps the user to focus on the most important tasks.